FAQ Section

What types of coverage do you offer?

  • Primary Auto Liability - insurance is required by federal regulations. Every carrier must carry liability insurance on every rig even on leased units. Liability insurance protects you when a third party is injured in an accident. Owner-operators should ask when leasing onto a company who will pay for their insurance - the company or from driver weekly settlements.
  • Physical Damage - insurance is coverage for your truck and trailer. Your premium is based on the value of your equipment. Usually a percentage of the value. This coverage is not required by law but if you finance your vehicle the lienholder will require it. It is important to insure your vehicle for the real value. Not over or under value the vehicle as the insurance company will only pay market value at the time of the loss.
  • Non-Trucking Liability - insurance pays for an accident when the driver/truck is not under dispatch. The coverage is sometimes referred to as deadhead coverage or bobtail liability.
  • General Liability - insurance protects the business for any property damage or bodily injury that might occur which does not involve a truck. Typical examples of this would include the slip and fall exposure at your place of business, advertising related exposures, and/or contractual exposures you may get involved in.
  • Non-Trucking Liability - insurance pays for an accident when the driver/truck is not under dispatch. The coverage is sometimes referred to as deadhead coverage or bobtail liability.
  • Non-Owned Trailer Liability - coverage protects the trailer you are pulling for someone else.
  • Non-Owned Trailer Physical Damage - coverage insures the trailer you are pulling for someone else in the event of loss. $20,000 is somewhat standard for trailers.
  • Trailer-Interchange Liability - coverage protects a trailer you are pulling when there is a interchange agreement in force. For example with a steamship line.
  • Cargo Insurance - covers damage/loss to freight in transit. This coverage can have several exclusions such as unattended vehicle, maximum theft limitations on target commodities such as garments, liquor, electronics and a whole host of others. It is very important to read this policy closely in the event you think you may be covered for something and you are not.
  • Occupational Accident – Occ/Acc - makes benefits available to owner-operators who are considered independent contractors and are not covered by workers compensation insurance. This coverage provides benefits to employees injured or killed in a job-related accident.
  • Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist – This insurance provides protection if you are in a accident with someone who does not have any insurance or does not have enough insurance.
  • Workers Compensation – If you have employees, this coverage would pay your workers if they were hurt or disabled on the job.

Back to top

What factors affect my insurance rates?

Some of the factors that influence your premium include:

  • Gender
  • Age or driving experience
  • Marital status
  • Driving history
  • Claims history
  • Make and model of vehicles
  • Geographic location
  • Credit history
  • Type of operation
  • Limits and deductibles

Back to top

Can I save my quote and finish later?

If you are unable to finish filling out your application, you will be able to save your quote and finish it at a later time. You will need to register with your email address and create a password so you can log back in at your convenience. For your protection, certain data fields, such as your social security number and date of birth will be deleted.

What states does Avery Brookes Group write insurance in?

Avery Brookes Group is licensed to write insurance in 48 states. We currently do not write in Alaska and Hawaii.

Back to top

How long does it take to get quotes back?

For certain types of coverage we have provided instant raters. These instant raters will give you a good indication of what your rates will be based on the information that you provide. Some quotes we will have back within an hour, and some quotes can take up to 48 hours. For final quotes, the amount of time to get them back will depend on a few variables:
  • Types and amount of vehicles
  • Amount of drivers
  • Type of operation
  • Type of coverages
  • Accuracy of information provided
Back to top

Is Commercial Auto Insurance Tax Deductible?

We Yes, your commercial auto coverage is tax deductible. There are many situations that allow you to deduct the cost of commercial auto insurance for tax purposes when you use your vehicle for commercial or business use. If you are self-employed, you may be able to deduct your commercial auto insurance premium under Schedule C; if you are an employee and do not receive mileage or expense reimbursement, you can use Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses). You should contact the IRS or a tax advisor with any further questions or concerns.

Back to top

If you have any further questions that were not addressed in our FAQ, please feel free to contact us. One of your knowledgeable customer services representatives will be able to answer them for you.